The wordpress platform in its making is a search engine friendly content management system but there is still room for improving its search engine friendliness, and that’s where Search engine optimization, SEO plugins come into play.
With SEO plugins, you can further improve the search engine friendliness of your wordpress site. There are numerous WordPress SEO plugins out there, a search at www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ will give you a quite a handful of SEO Plugins that you can download for free.
To save you time and especially because of newbies i have compiled a list of 9 SEO Plugins you can use on you’re to optimize your blog or wordpress sites. All these plugins are free and they are all quite good.
Note: this list is not according to preference, rankings or chronologically. It’s just my own random list of SEO Plugins.
This plugin automatically optimizes your wordpress blog for search engines. This is the exact SEO plugin am currently using on this blog.
Here are some of its features:
- Support for Custom Post Types
- Advanced Canonical URLs
- Fine tune Page Navigational Links
- Built-in API so other plugins/themes can access and extend functionality
- ONLY plugin to provide SEO Integration for WP e-Commerce sites
- Nonce Security
- Support for CMS-style WordPress installations
- Automatically optimizes your titles for search engines
- Generates META tags automatically
- Avoids the typical duplicate content found on WordPress blogs
- For beginners, you don’t even have to look at the options; it works out-of-the-box. Just install.
- For advanced users, you can fine-tune everything
- You can override any title and set any META description and any META keywords you want.
- Backward-Compatibility with many other plugins, like Auto Meta, Ultimate Tag Warrior and others.
This plugin helps you to improve your SEO and write better content, using the snippet preview you can see what your page will look like in the search results, whether your title is too short or too long.
The plugin also allows you to write Meta titles and descriptions for all your category, tag and custom taxonomy archives, giving you the option to further optimize those pages.
With the WordPress SEO plugin you can control which pages Google shows in its search results and which pages it doesn’t show. By default, it will tell search engines to index all of your pages, including category and tag archives, but only show the first pages in the search results.
This plugin also has the XML sitemaps functionality built into it, once you check the box it will automatically create XMl Sitemaps for your site.
This plugins let you customize over 100 separate on-page SEO characteristics. Load under 700 lines of code per page view.
This plugin enables you to configure several important SEO characteristics in each of these five areas:
- Main title
- Head section: description, keywords, robots indexing and following instructions, canonical URLs
- Secondary title, visible in the page body
- Secondary description, visible in the page body
- Paged comments and duplicate content
The full set of SEO characteristics can be configured for each of the following types of output:
• Home page
• Paged comments
• Tag archives
• Author archives
• Category archives
• Search results
• 404 page (irrelevant to SEO but helpful to site visitors)
4. SEO Ultimate
SEO Ultimate is an all-in-one SEO plugin with these powerful features:
• Title Tag Rewriter
Out-of-the-box functionality puts your post titles at the beginning of the <title> tag for improved keyword SEO.
o Easily override the entire <title> tag contents for any individual post, page, attachment, category, post tag, or post format archive on your blog. Also supports custom post types and custom taxonomies.
Customize your homepage’s <title> tag.
Format the <title> tags of posts, pages, categories, tags, archives, search results, and more!
Choose between two rewrite methods: “output buffering” or “filtering”
• Meta Description Editor
Edit the <meta> description tags for posts, pages, attachments, categories, tags, post format archives, and the homepage.
Increase SERP click through rates by influencing search engine result snippets.
Mass-editor makes it a cinch to go back and add descriptions to old posts.
• Meta Keywords Editor
Edit the <meta> keyword tags for posts, pages, categories, terms, and the homepage.
o Easily specifies global keywords that are applied across the entire site.
o Go back and edit old posts’ and pages’ keywords with the mass-editor.
o Automatically generates meta keywords based on categories, tags, custom taxonomy terms, and frequently-used words.
* Automatic 301 redirects for any permalink changes
* Canonical URLs
* Optimized Post and Page Titles for search engines
* Generates all SEO relevant META tags automatically
* Option to specify meta description and meta keywords tag for categories and tag pages.
* Option to turn off Page title or Post title rewrites for any particular post or page.
* Option to turn off Page title or Post title format for any particular post or page
* Helps you avoid duplicate content
* Lets you override any title and set any META description and META keywords, for any post or page
* Support for custom post types
* Support for custom taxonomies in version 1.3.4 (Thanks to Aidan – sww.co.nz)
* Compatible with most other plugins, like Auto Meta, Ultimate Tag Warrior and others. However you may have to disable All in One SEO pack
* You don’t have to fear changing permalinks. If you are not satisfied with the current permalink, change it through Settings?>Permalinks in your admin panel, without worrying about loss of Page rank or Googlepenalty. Platinum SEO plugin will take care of issuing a 301 redirect to the new location. This is a new essential feature, not present in All in one SEO
* Add index, no index, follow or no follow, noodp, noydir, noarchive, no snippet meta tags to any post/page
HeadSpace2 is an all-in-one meta-data manager that allows you to fine-tune the SEO potential of your site.
You can configure meta-data for:
• Home page
• Author pages
• Search pages
• 404 page
You can define:
• Tags/keywords, with suggested keywords
• Page titles
• Custom ‘more text’
• Site name and site description
• Custom themes – change your theme on each page!
• Custom plugins – load a plugin only on specific pages
• No index and no follow meta tags
• Follow/follow on archive, category, page, tag, and comment links.
SEO Easy Optimizer helps you in the hard improving of the SEO positioning for your blog.
SEO Easy Optimizer checks:
• Presence of h1 tag in homepage
• Presence of h1 tag in posts
• Presence of the sitemap.xml file
• Presence of title and alt attributes in img tags
Then advices you to:
• Check your head part of the source code and verify that the title, meta description and canonical tags are present and well-used.
• Register your blog to free stats services like Alexa and Google Analytics
• Provide your RSS feed via FeedBurner
• Use Digg and other similar web-services.
8. Simple SEO
This Plugin Optimize your web site or blog by changing the title and menu output for any page or post. This is very important for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) reasons, but it can also increase the usability of your website, making it more friendly and understandable for your visitors.
• Change the page title of your posts and pages. This is the title that you see in the title bar of your web browser. It is also the title that shows up in search engines like Google.
• Change the menu title label of your posts and pages. This is the title that is shown in your menus/navigation.
• Supports custom post types.
• Make your post or page more attractive in Google’s search results (Google SERP).
• Add additional keywords synonyms to your pages or posts.
• Increase usability
• Nicely integrated into WordPress.
• No settings just activate the plugin and you’re ready to go.
• Uses WordPress own custom fields, so no extra database tables.
• Works with most themes and plugins.
Stallion WordPress SEO Plugin Features
The Stallion WordPress SEO Plugin uses canonical URLs to mimic the effects of no index, but without wasting valuable link benefit. When a page has a canonical URL it tells major search engines like Google where the preferred URL for that page is.
This is what the Stallion WordPress SEO Plugin can do:
1. Equivalent of no index login pages redirecting link benefit to home.
2. Equivalent of no index admin pages redirecting link benefit to home.
3. Equivalent of no index date archive pages redirecting link benefit to home.
4. Equivalent of no index category archive pages redirecting link benefit to home.
5. Equivalent of no index paged category archive pages (pages 2, 3, 4 etc…) redirecting link benefit to the first page in the category.
6. Equivalent of no index tag archive pages redirecting link benefit to home.
7. Equivalent of no index paged tag archive pages (pages 2, 3, 4 etc…) redirecting link benefit to the first page in the tag.
8. Equivalent of no index search results pages redirecting link benefit to home.
9. Equivalent of no index paged search results pages (pages 2, 3, 4 etc…) redirecting link benefit to the first page in the search result.
10. Equivalent of no index paged home archive pages (pages 2, 3, 4 etc…) redirecting link benefit to the home page.
11. Equivalent of no index single blog Posts and static Pages (Privacy, Disclaimer pages for example) redirecting link benefit to the home page (this feature needs a little code work).